Woocommerce is one of the most popular plugins for WordPress. It is suitable for convenient management of an internet store, simplifying e-commerce and internal statistics management. Thanks to the plugin, site management can be done with a convenient interactive personal cabinet.
Features of Woocommerce
Woocommerce plugin was presented in 2011 by a team of developers from South Africa. It was intended for owners of internet stores, and in a short time of its existence, it has gained great popularity. According to statistics, almost 30% of internet stores on WordPress, including large trading platforms, operate on Woocommerce.
The plugin provides the following functionality:
- Creating well-structured catalogs. With Woocommerce, you can sort products by categories, put labels on them, and create separate pages. The plugin simplifies search and filtration for users.
- Managing orders. Thanks to Woocommerce, you can keep your own database, register customers, view order history, have access to it.
- Conducting analytics. Integration with analytical services is possible. In addition, the plugin can analyze user behavior on the page, the popularity of certain positions. Data is displayed in the form of clear graphs.
- Implementation of regional pricing. You can set different prices depending on the client’s region.
- Customizing payment methods. A Woocommerce site allows you to pay before or after delivery, using bank cards, popular payment systems. Additional payment methods that are not in the setup wizard can be added manually.
- Setting up discounts and promotions. The plugin allows you to set discounts and promotions, use a system of promotional codes and discount coupons. With the built-in functionality, you can notify the user about promotional offers, carry out mailings.
- Ongoing business control. Access to data on the internet store can be obtained around the clock, from a phone or computer, using an interactive personal cabinet.
- User rating and review system. With Woocommerce’s built-in functionality, you can introduce user ratings. The presence of such a block significantly increases conversion and the trust of potential buyers.
In addition, the plugin allows you to organize a forum or chat for users, differentiate their rights, add moderators and administrators. Woocommerce integrates with most WordPress themes.
Pros and cons
WooСommerce is a popular and user-friendly plugin. With it, you can manage an internet store without programming and layout knowledge. However, there are also pitfalls.
First, let’s talk about the advantages:
- versatility – you can create an internet store for physical or virtual goods, implement a subscription system;
- adaptability – sites are displayed correctly on both computers and mobile devices;
- integration with other plugins;
- integration with themes from the WordPress store;
- the ability to upload products to marketplaces;
- good SEO indicators for sites on Woocommerce.
Among the disadvantages are:
- the plugin requires lengthy setup, and without experience working with internet stores, it is difficult to do;
- Woocommerce heavily burdens the server, making it difficult to use on a free or cheap tariff;
- free functionality is limited, most useful additions to the plugin are paid;
- Woocommerce is designed for the Western market, so it has localization problems, and some features of domestic trade are still not implemented;
- to create your own theme, layout skills are required, and the plugin conflicts with the visual customizer.
Woocommerce is a good addition that is suitable for developing an internet store.